Friday, June 19, 2009

You Can Fool Some of the People Some of the Time . . .

Greetings blog readers. I'm blogging a little earlier than usual today because Kayla's coming home this evening and I'd rather spend time with her than write blog stuff.

I was out shopping today - more on that later - and I saw a great bumper sticker, which read: "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but apparently you can fool 52.6% of the people all of the time." This got me to thinking, which is usually not a good thing. If you put a random sample of 100 people in a room only about 53 of them would have voted for Mr. Obama and about 47 of them would not have voted for him. If you figure that even 10% of those who voted for him (a very conservative estimate) did so for no other reason than they were jumping on the press-induced band wagon and wanted to feel good about themselves for displaying an "open mind" then out of 53 Obama-ites about five of them voted for him even though they most likely had absolutely no idea what he stood for. Take these five away and the room is almost evenly divided between the forces of light and the forces of darkness. Of the 48 pro-Obama types who are left, a large number of them were swayed by one of Mr. Obama's 569 compaign promises (a real number - you can look it up), many of which will never be acted upon, unless of course you're gay or in favor of killing unborn babies. Hmmm . . . my very first political rant on the blog. I'll do my best to keep these to a minimum, but no promises.

Okay, now that that's out of the way I can get back to my shopping trip. I went to two places - Hobby Lobby for picture frames and to HEB for tonight's dinner groceries. My first observation for today is that if you want to meet girls (which of course I don't) go to Hobby Lobby in the middle of the afternoon on a week day. I was the male personage in the entire store. Before the multitude of single guys who read my blog get too excited, the approximate age demographic of these girls is between ages 50 and 83. I bought some frames and matting material for the Booth School pictures I took a few weeks ago. Please refer to a prior blog for more information.

Next I went to HEB to buy salad ingredients and steak for Kayla's homecoming dinner tonight. I did okay on the steak - I think - but I had to totally fake it on the tomatoes. I held them up and looked at them from several angles and then I pretended to squeeze them, because I think that's what you do when you buy tomatoes. Or maybe you thump 'em. Whatever . . . When I got home I called my brother-in-law Phil to get his secret steak marinating juice recipe, which he shared with me under penalty of death if I reveal it to anyone else. The steaks are soaking in the secret concoction right now. I'll be grilling later, which for most guys is some type of frequent and semi-religious experience, but for me it's more of a "what the heck am I doing cooking" thing. Where I come from women cook everything - even steak - and men just eat everything. At least by this evening it should cool off to 98 degrees so it will be pleasant standing over the grill.

Tomorrow: Vicki, Kayla and I will be heading out to Round Rock in the morning for my wild Father's Day weekend at Bethany and Cody's place. I'm looking forward to watching the Round Rock Express and chowing down on my traditional Father's Day meal of hot dogs, BBQ potato chips (fried not baked) and cherry pie with vanilla Blue Bell ice cream. It will be great to be me this weekend. Happy Father's Day to all you fatherly types.

No comments: