Today is Sunday. Most people think of Sunday as the last day of the week, but it's actually the first day. So, another week is upon me, and another big decision. Do I start to look for a job this week. Hmmm? It's been almost two months since my release from captivity at Transocean. Two wonderful, glorious months! It's been great - road trip with Vicki, replacing two toilets (a definite highlight), new flower bed in the front yard, fixing stuff that's been broken for two years (I still need to get to the drain in the kitchen), Kadesh . . . If I get another job too quickly do I run the risk of not accomplishing things that I'm not even aware yet that I need to do? What will I miss out on? Does my true destiny await me here in the land of unemployment or back in the working world? Is tomorrow the day I kick things into gear and get started on my journey back into the rat race, or is it another day of just thinking about it? Hmmm. I'm afraid that if I get too used to this life of leisure that I'll never want to go back to work. But wait, I already know that I don't ever really want to go back to work. What to do, what to do? Who am I kidding? There's no way that I'm going to do anything job-related this week. It feels great to be honest with myself!
It's getting late and I am really beat. Last week was a great week, but a really long and tiring one. Kadesh was tough and the ten-hour trip home from Abilene yesterday just about finished me off. The only thing that kept me going was my desire to share every minute of the Kadesh experience with Vicki and the kids, who were lucky enough to all be in town for Kara's wedding. Imagine their delight when they returned home last night from the rehearsal dinner just in time to have me regale them with about four hours of the fascinating details of my entire six days in Abilene. They were so excited! Between them they've been to someting like sixteen Kadeshes over the years, but I'm sure they missed a lot, and I was happy to fill in the blanks in their memories. They've all headed back to Lubbock and Round Rock. I'm sure the thank you notes will be in the mail first thing in the morning.
I picked up a bunch of new Face Book friends while I was out of town. I think I'm up to seventeen. I was looking at my "wall" (I think) and I was thrilled to find out that I will not only be receiving information about people I haven't seen or spoken to for almost 40 years, but I also have some great wedding pictures of their friends who I've never even heard of. Some old guy named "Cappy" looked very happy to be married. Maybe he'll ask me to be his friend. If he does I think I'll suggest that he lose 50 pounds, get a real haircut, and consider cutting way back on his alcohol intake at weddings. I wonder what his wife looks like?
I ordered my latest version of personalized license plates online this afternoon. I'm getting rid of "10-Tech" and replacing it with "Less Me". 10-Tech was supposed to be a play on the fact that Bethany was moving to Tennessee (get it "10" for Tennessee) and Kayla would be at Texas Tech. The Tech happened but the Tennessee part never really materialized because Cody got transfered to Round Rock after I ordered the plates. The "Less Me" is my attempt to remind myself of a commitment I made to myself this past week regarding my commitment to Jesus Christ. If the license plates in Texas were a little bigger my plate would say "Less Me - More Him" but the maximum number of characters is only six, so I'll just have to remember the second part on my own. I'm sure you're wondering about my entire personal history of personalized plates. Well, since I've lived in Texas I've actually had a number of them. they are such a bargain. Where else can you get a whole year of fun for only $40?Plus, you can actually remember your license number when you fill out your registration at the state park when you go camping, or when you register your car for the parking garage at work. Work? Did I say "work"? Anyway, my personalized plates over the years have included:
FREEDE (obvious reference)
BURG OH (my home town is Leavittsburg, Ohio)
I B A DAD (my favorite)
TWO PETES (twins)
2 AT ACU (twins at ACU)
ACU OF H (when Bethany was at ACU working on her master's and Kayla was supposed to be at University of Houston working on hers, but the U of H part didn't last too long before she transferred and became the TECH in 10TECH)
10 TECH (see above explanation)
Besides going to the dentist on Tuesday to have a cracked filling replaced, I'm also going to give some serious consideration to fulfilling my long-held desire to get my Christian fish tatoo. I'm thinking about getting one about the size of a quarter on my right shoulder. How cool would that be! Butch Watterson has told me that he wants to drive me down to the tatoo parlor and witness this great event. I'll have him check his schedule to see if he's available this week. If the fish thing works out I may go for "I Love Vicki" on my left shoulder, some flames on my neck, and maybe "Marines - Death Before Dishonor!" on the back of my neck. I'll keep you posted.
Have a good week.
No comments:
Post a Comment