Monday, June 15, 2009

On No - We Seem to Have Some Type of Virus!

I'm not sure if this post will make it to the Hood because we've been getting these wacky pop-ups all day about Trojan viruses and other weird stuff. Oh well, let's give it a try.

Today we bought new athletic shoes. Vicki got a pair just like the ones she has now, but in a different color (pink accents instead of blue). I changed completely and went with Nike Pegasus this time around. I agonized over the size. The size 10.5 seemed just a tad small, but the size 11 seemed too big. I went with the 10.5. I'm looking forward to trying them out during tomorrow morning's walk, which I'll need to get in early because as you know from reading yesterday's blog, I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning.

I have a few shopping observations that relate to being unemployed. First observation is that even though I have no job it seems like we spend money every day. This is unusual for me because when I was working I would often go weeks without spending money on anything except gasoline. In the last two months we've been on a two-week vacation, bought two new white toilets to replace the black ones that we hated, actually paid for Astros tickets, bought accent lights for the outside of the house, bought patio furniture, and bought new living room furniture. Oh yes, and there was the $40 for the new personalized license plates yesterday. Observation number two is that when you go shopping during the day you can usually find some pretty good close-in parking places. I think that this could actually be a new economic indicator. Have one of Obama's economic advisors drive around to a random sampling of key strip centers and check for close-in parking places. The greater the number of good parking places available during the day the better the ecomomy. When the good spots start filling up you know you have more unemployed people out shopping when they should be at work. Based on this indicator, the Houston ecomomy has not yet been seriously affected by the Great Depression of 2009. I'll continue to conduct this significant research as we continue to spend money that we should probably be saving just in case I never find another job.

We finalized our plans for Father's Day. Kayla will be home for the summer from Texas Tech on Friday (Lance won't be done for one more week). Our plan is to go up to Round Rock for the weekend and take in an Express game on Saturday night. Cody can get half-price tickets for $3.00 and then the plan is to sneak down into the $12 seats when nobody's looking. Should be awesome. I'm also looking forward to my customary Father's Day meal of hot dogs, BBQ chips and cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. I love it when I get to call the shots.

The excitement of the day was when I noticed that there was a possum in one of our trash cans this morning. I'm not sure how he go in, but I know he couldn't get out. I tipped the can over and shooed him away with a broom. He went in the direction of the front door, but I'm not sure where he ended up. I'll check the trash can again tomorrow morning for a rematch.

Realizing that this blog has an international readership, our out of town friends may not be aware of the recent weather conditions in Houston, which have been unbelievably hot for the last week or so. We don't usually get above the 100 degree mark in June, but we have this week. It also hasn't rained for about six weeks. Not a good combination. I'm thinking about selling what's left of the grass in my front yard as stuffing for this year's Halloween scarecrows.

Wish me luck at the dentist!

No comments: