Today was an eventful day on the job front. I received a call from Jill, a fellow member at our church. Jill seems to have her finger on the pulse of everyone who's looking for a job, and her contacts make her a very valuable friend. I didn't know she even knew I was looking for a job. Somewhere in her travels she came across an HR Director opening and she's promised to provide me with an introduction to the head honchos at the company. I'm hoping to talk to them on the phone tomorrow. Thanks Jill!
I spent this morning at the church building working with Eric, one of our associate ministers installing two flat screen TV wall brackets in some of the classrooms. As we were getting started Eric comment "It's nice to be able to call on an out-of-work engineer when you have work like this to do." The look on his face was priceless - both funny and sad - when I informed him that I wasn't an engineer. For a second I thought he was going to come up with an excuse to send me home. But, he decided to take a chance and we got the brackets installed. When I left the TV's were both still on the wall.
Tomorrow is the big day for my television career - my audition for Who Wants to be a Millionaire. If I play my cards right I may never have to work again. I checked the website this afternoon and found that the hotel where the auditions are being held is not exactly in the greatest neighborhood in Houston. For those of you who know Houston it's out near Gallery Furniture ( . . . save you money!), a 32.5 mile drive according to Google. The doors open at 6:00 AM. My plan is to get up at 4:30 and be on the road to glory, fame and fortune by 4:45 at the latest. Last night Kayla drilled me for an hour or so with practice games from the Millionaire website. The best I could do was win $25,000. This was a little disappointing to Kayla, to whom I have promised 25% of my winnings. She was thinking $250,000 - which is slightly more than $6,250.
Finally, those of you who have been following the world news the last few days are aware that the Central American country of Honduras has been undergoing some wild and uncertain times during this past week. We are concerned for our friends at Mission Larazus, a Christian missionary organization that has been operating in southern Honduras for the last several years and has done tremendous work in not only spreading the Gospel but also making the lives of the Honduran people better. It's expected that the political events that will unfold over the next few days may produce a dangerous situation, so please keep all of the Mission Lazarus people in your prayers. I have added a link to Mission Lazarus under my list of family blogs.
Tomorrow: The BIG audition in the morning (I'm so excited) and Wednesday church in the evening. It should be a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment