Greetings to everyone in the world of blogging. Before I get to the interesting details of our day I thought I'd give you my review of the movie Taking of Pelham 1-2-3. The movie stars Denzel Washington (my favorite actor) and John Travolta, and involves the hijacking of a New York City subway train. It's rated "R" for what the summary on the theater website calls "some strong language." Some strong language? It sounds like my drill instructor wrote the dialogue. From the open 30 seconds to the end of the movie it's like somebody called in an artillery barrage of F-bombs, which are creatively used as verbs, adverbs, adjectives and nouns. If you can get by the language this is actually a fairly engaging movie. On a scale of ten I give it a seven. Denzel is his usual good self.
Before we hit the movie I went to the dentist to have an old filling replaced. This will sound weird, but this was the most pleasant dental experience I have ever had. Doctor Douglas O. McClung - "Buddy" to his friends - so skillfully applied the novacaine (or whatever it is that they use to deaden your mouth) that I absolutely didn't feel a thing, other than the minor sting of the needle. The highlight of today's visit was the tech taking my blood pressure after Dr. Buddy stuck me with the novacaine needle. I suggested to her that a truer reading would probably be obtained if the BP was taken before a large-guage needle was inserted into my gum. She assured me that she'd take my suggestion to heart with her next patient.
Besides my stimulating dental visit, another high point was taking my daily 3.6 mile walk in my new running shoes! After having spent almost the last three years in the same pair, the switch to the new ones was fantastic. I felt like I was walking on high heels. The only problem was the incredible brightness of the new shoes. Several cars had to pull over when they passed me because they couldn't see. I'll rub some dirt on them before tomorrow's walk.
I also took my car in today for the fifth time trying to get the "check engine light" taken care of. Every time I take it back they find something different. Today's culprit was a non-Toyota gas cap which they replaced with an authentic Toyota gas cap. I can't wait to see it, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow because they closed while we were getting our language lesson at the movie. I'm now baffled how a non-Toyota gas cap got on my car. I don't recall ever replacing the one that came with the car. I smell a conspiracy.
My final revelation for today is that I started working on my outline for a five-week curriculum for our Sunday morning Bible class. The study will be on the life of Joseph and will start on September 13th. If you're in Houston on that Sunday or any of the following four Sundays feel free to drop by. I read through Genesis chapters 25 through 50 this morning, and there is a lot of material to fit into just five lessons. I'll do my best. Speaking of movies, this story would make a great one if people didn't know it was from the Old Testament. Deceit, illicit sex, lying, cheating, killing, back-stabbing - this story has it all! Oh yeah, there's also a little bit about forgiveness and love, but not until the very end.
I hate to say this, but I'm seriously considering making a business-related phone call tomorrow. I've traded emails with an insurance broker that I worked with for over ten years when I was with Global Marine/GlobalSantaFe. When we were devoured by Transocean we dropped him in favor of a big name consulting firm. He's a really great guy who has lots of contacts that could be - dare I contemplate this - helpful to me in finding another job. Plus, I love talking baseball with him. He's a former major league pitcher who actually started game one of the 1983 World Series (unfortunately, he took the loss). He's also a Christian whom I have a lot in common with. He wants to get together for lunch, which is probably a really good idea. I'll sleep on it. If I go I'll determine whose buying before I order dessert.
Oh, just in case you're wondering, we managed to get rid of the virus that was giving us fits yesterday. It was the "Malware" virus. It took over our PC with an unending stream of messages telling us we had been infected with a dangerous virus that could be banished by purchasing Malware Catcher 2009 for the bargain price of just $49. What a deal! We pay them $49 to run themselves off and leave us alone. The people behind this kind of stuff must be real slugs. Luckily, I found some free software of the web that deleted all of the Malware mischief from our computer. I hope the free "fix" doesn't come back to haunt us in some mysterious way. I also wonder if Malware will find it's way back. We got rid of it, but I doubt if we killed it.
Tomorrow: Breakfast at Bob's Taco Station and Wednesday night church!
No comments:
Post a Comment