This morning we went out to Richmond to visit the Goforth homestead and take a look at the massive renovations that are in progress on their 159 year old house. That's right, I said 159 years old! It's one of those old southern mansion looking places that was built before the Civil War. According to Donna, two of the house's former residents actually fought in the Civil War. It looks kind of like the house Forrest Gump grew up in. Donna was excited to show us around what's left of her former kitchen and the surrounding rooms, which have been totally demolished in anticipation of rising from their ashes to become a new enlarged kitchen. Also on tap are a new breakfast room and an expanded master bedroom/master bath/master closet. Donna is utilizing her vast construction experience to be the general contractor while Ed goofs off in Nigeria. She tells us the projected completion date is in August, which means that it might be ready by Thanksgiving . . . Christmas for sure . . . maybe. For sure by Super Bowl Sunday.
After the grand construction tour our agenda called for a deluxe breakfast at Bob's Taco Station, a semi-renovated former gas station in Rosenberg that has recently been named one of the best breakfast dives in America by the Food Channel. Oh, I neglected to mention that our friend Rachel also showed up for the tour, so it was Vicki, Rachel, Donna and me who all went to breakfast. Sort of a girls morning out. There was some very lively conversation at Bob's, but uncharacteristically for me I really didn't say much. For some reason the words "hen party" kept popping in to my head. "We" spoke of may things, none of which were of particular interest to me, expecially the brief - but not brief enough - discussion of saying what your really think when you have PMS. If I ever do this again I'll be sure to ask Bob or whoever is doing the seating that day to give me the seat directly over the trap door. On second thought, if I ever do this again please call in an air strike.
That's about all that happened today. I never did get around to making the lunch date with my broker friend. Maybe tomorrow. Oh yeah, we went to Sonic after church. It was delightful.
Tomorrow: My first day working in the warehouse at Second Mile Mission. Life without air conditioning. It should be epic.
No comments:
Post a Comment