Friday, June 12, 2009

It's Over - It's Really Over

Well, the week that is Kadesh (actually Kadesh I) is over. Talk about mixed emotions! On one hand this was without a doubt one of the most important weeks of my life. On the other hand, it was one of the most intense experiences I've ever been involved with. On the other hand, I really enjoyed getting to know the ten kids in my group. On the other hand, sometimes their teen-age behavior got just a little irritating. On the other hand, I learned quite a bit from them. On the other hand, we had leaders meetings that last until at least mid-night every night.

Tonight we conducted a blessing ceremony for our group. I say ceremony because that's how we presented it. My co-leader, Meredith Platt, who is a summer intern at Grace Crossing, and I tried to go all out. Meredith came up with the idea of burning a CD of ten songs, with a song that related in some way with each of our "campers". I then located a scripture that matched each song. We played each camper's song, read his or her scripture, made some personal comments and words of encouragement, and then passed along our blessings. There were tears all around, although surprisingly, none from me. We closed out with a big song fest at the amphitheater, followed by a long round of sobbing good-byes, again, no tears from me (well, maybe a few little ones). I can't wait to add all my new kid friends to my Face Book account (or whatever you call the thing you have on Face Book).

To the delight of each and every counselor and group leader, we had our final leaders meeting, which started at 10:00 instead of 11:15 and which included only one short evaluation form and then pizza. My kind of meeting. It was fantastic to finally be finishing our day on the same day we got up. Especially today, when we were up at 5:30 working on the campers' blessings. I felt like I was an ACU student working on a project that I'd put off until the last minute. What a rush! I'll be in bed tonight before mid-night for the first time since I got here.

We're scheduled to leave tomorrow morning at 8:30, which of course will not happen. I'm betting on 9:15 at the earliest. I'm driving one of the vans back, and I'm hoping to have the girls as my passengers. This will provide fewer body generated noises and a more nose-friendly atmosphere. My fingers are crossed.

So, that's about it for Kadesh. Next week I'll be back writing about the many fascinating things that career homemakers and unemployed human resources professionals do. I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday to replace a cracked filling! You won't want to miss my thrilling account of that event. Who knows what else might happen. I'm also thinking (not yet confirmed) about fixing the leak under the kitchen sink. Stay tuned!

One final note, tomorrow Vicki is throwing a bridal luncheon for Kara Yeary, Kayla's room mate from ACU. Kara and Ben are getting married on Sunday.

No comments: