Friday, July 17, 2009

Yes, I Have a Basically Boring Life

I haven't blogged much recently because not much is really happening. I do have a few semi-newsworthy items, but not much.

Yesterday was Second Mile Thursday. I've actually started looking forward to my trips down to Second Mile. My "boss" - Tom - is a really great guy, with a true servant's heart. For the second week in a row I was not assigned to the sweat box that is the warehouse. I spent yesterday continuing to work on the E-bay project. You'll recall that last week I took pictures of items with perceived value that will most likely not be distributed to Second Mile clients - skis, cameras, leather jackets, drum set, etc. Yesterday I actually posted these items on E-bay. I had never even been to the E-bay website, so it was fun learning how it works. My favorite E-bay item is the University of North Carolina leather team jacket that I donated to Second Mile. It's a really authentic looking leather jacket that says "UNC" on the front. All leather, with a quilted lining, in baby blue and navy. It looks cool. We inherited this jacket several years ago when one of Kayla's (or was it Bethany) old boyfriends left it at our house and never came by for it. He moved away and we've had it for seven or eight years. Maybe he'll see it and buy it back. The bidding starts at $49.99.

Speaking of Second Mile, when you work inside where the clients are you gain some insight into what it's like to try to help people who are not always as appreciative as you'd expect. There were actually two shouting incidents yesterday. One involved - if you can believe this - a teenage girl who was there performing community service. One of the staff told her to do something and the girl didn't like her tone, so she pitched a fit about not being respected! She went on and on to the point where she was finally hauled into the office of the head counselor. The other outburst involved a women who was upset because the used couch she was given wasn't as good as the one she had seen another person leave with earlier in the day. It seems that the other person's couch was the color this lady wanted and she wasn't happy that there weren't more of that color "in stock". I wanted to go out into the hall and suggest Macy's or Star, but I figured that would be like throwing gasoline on a fire (which I have actually done on occasion).

Tonight is our first rehearsal for the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Over the next two months we'll have about 20 rehearsals. When we did this ten years ago I had a job that took up a lot of my day. This time around it should be a little easier to work rehearsals into my schedule.

Something we have managed to work into our schedules is a trip to Colorado. Yes, that's correct - cooool Colorado. My brother Greg and his wife just finished construction on a vacation home in Westcliffe, Colorado, which is a few hours southwest of Colorado Springs. Like any good brother who is without a job and melting in the unceasing Houston heat, I asked Greg if Vicki and I could come up and spend a few days in his brand new house. Of course, being the good brother that he is, he said okay. We'll be heading up the second week of August, right after we finish our group leader gig at Camp Bandina. Vicki and I have the First Colony Church of Christ seniors. It should be lots of fun. I hear Bandina is always cool in August.

If just occurred to me that today is Friday and the job interview I was expecting never did quite materialize. Maybe next week . . .

No comments: