Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Today I Made a Chariot

Greetings fellow blog-ites. I hope your week is going well and that those of you living in Houston and vicinity are enjoying the cooler weather. It hasn't been over 100 degrees for almost a week. Things are looking up. Now if we'd just get some of those thundershowers that have danced around us for the last two weeks I'd be so, so happy.

Big news! Yesterday I started working on it, and today I finished building a chariot. That's right, I said a chariot. By finished I mean I finished the construction phase. At some point between now and the end of September I'll paint it and make it look really cool. Like my across the street neighbor - who came over this afternoon just to see what I was building in my garage - you may be wondering why a chariot? Well, it's for the play. You remember, the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat? The chariot is for the big finale, when Jacob shows up in Egypt and is finally reunited with Joseph after many years. I looked up a picture of any Egyptian war chariot on the internet, and mine actually looks pretty close. See below . . .

Just wait until I get it painted!
Speaking of the Joseph show, we started rehearsing in earnest this week. We're working on the big song and dance number, and I have been learning more dance moves than I may be able to retain in my 56 year old brain. When we did this show ten years ago our choreographer was either much lazier or much less ambitious (or much smarter). Regardless, I'm sure we'll all look like Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers by show time. Of course there is more than one scene that requires dancing, so wish me luck with whatever is over the horizon.
Tomorrow is Vicki's birthday, so if you some into contact with her either in person or via any of the multiple electronic avenues on which you travel, tell her Happy Birthday. Because I'm tied up tomorrow evening (another rehearsal) we're doing the birthday dinner thing on Thursday evening. Don't tell her, it's a secret. I can't wait to see her face when she opens the gift I got her. It's awesome.
News flash! The Astros beat the Cardinals again tonight, which puts them only two games out of first place. Get ready for another second half charge by the Astros. I sure do miss all those free tickets I used to get when I was working. Oh yes, working. I got another job lead this afternoon from one of my former colleagues at GlobalSantaFe which I'll follow up on tomorrow. The recruiter is in Maumee, Ohio but the job is somewhere in Houston. The job description is specific in listing one of the job requirements as "a non job hopper." I wonder if working for two companies in 29 years qualifies me as a non job hopper? I can only hope.

1 comment:

Monica said...

What an impressive chariot you have made. I was in the middle of reading about it and my power went out for some reason. Like your neighbor the curiousity was killing me. I had to turn the computer back on, ignor my crying child, and get the scoop before moving on with life. 10 years ago really???? Has it been that long since Joseph? Good luck learning your moves! This was my first trip to the Freede Hood. I will be back. :)