Saturday, July 11, 2009

Today is Saturday, Which Means Yesterday Was Friday

Greetings on another sunny and excruciatingly hot Saturday! The weatherman says we might get a few stray thundershowers today, but so far it's not looking too promising on that front.

Bethany made a surprise trip home yesterday. It seems that she had planned to be in San Antonio this weekend to attend the double baby showers of some college friends. However, she got the dates mixed up - the showers aren't until next weekend. Unfortunately, in her anticipated absence Cody had arranged for seven of his closest friends (including Lance) to come by for a boys' weekend. Faced with the options of 1) uninviting the boys, or 2) spending the weekend with them in her two-bedroom apartment, Bethany elected option 3) to make a quick visit to see the fam in Greatwood.

This morning we did what we usually do when everyone's in town on a Saturday morning - we went to Bob's Taco Station for breakfast. I had my usual - two bacon/egg/potato tacos. If you've never been to Bob's you should definitely go sometime. The tacos are pretty good, but my favorite thing about the place is the collection of miscellaneous signs and pictures that are all over the walls. My favorite sign is the one that says "I'm not loafing, I just work so fast that I'm always done." Try that one on your boss sometime. Other notable signs and sayings include:

"Attention Teenagers - Leave home and go out on your own now while you still know everything!"
"Menudo, it takes guts to make it and guts to eat it!"
"We don't repeat gossip - so listen closely the first time."

Yesterday was my most active day yet in my quest for a new job. I didn't have any actual interviews - which I'm sure are lining up just around the corner - but I did have face-to-face meetings with two recruiting firms. At the first meeting I had to wait about twenty minutes, so I got to look at a coffee table book that had all of the covers of Rolling Stone Magazine. That was fun. When the recruiter finally showed up I asked her if she minded being called a "head hunter"? Turns out she did mind. Oops! The second meeting was over lunch at Willie G's by the Galleria. The recruiter picked up the check, which I thought was nice. Neither of these people had any specific opportunities for me, but it was fun to put on long pants and get out of the house.

We got our computer back yesterday from it's stay in the anti-virus unit of our local PC fix it place. I just reconnected everything so I could write this blog post. I love crawling around on the floor in the dust bunnies, contorting my over-sized body into odd positions to reconnect all of the wires, cables, plugs, etc. It took me almost an hour to get everything back together and in the correct spot. I think once we're done with Al Qaida we should turn the full attention and resources of all branches of the U.S. military to locating and eliminating those responsible for computer viruses, worms, trojans, phishes, and whatever else they to.

Tomorrow: We get to go to church and worship God. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: