When I reported to the warehouse at Second Mile Mission this morning for my usual Thursday gig I was informed that I had been promoted - from Warehouseman III to Photographer. It seems that on occasion people donote things to the mission that are not the kind of things that the average person is looking for when they visit. I was shown to a room that included, among other things, the following items -
Motor cycle boots
Leather motor cycle jacket
Skis and ski boots
Snorkling equipment
Wet suits
35mm cameras
Video cameras
Antique radio/phonograph
Crystal wine glasses
Telescope
Complete drum set
In addition, in the warehouse are pallets of the following items -
Polycarbonate water bottles, of which there are probably at least 5,000. They were donated as hurricane relief after Ike, and they're all still there.
Battery operated dish scrubbers, which were also donated following Hurricane Ike. I guess the theory was that people who typically use electric dish scrubbers would need battery operated ones if their electricity went out due to the hurricane? Regardless of the reason for them being there, there are about 2,000 of these.
My task, as official Second Mile photographer, was to take pictures of all of these random and potentially valuable items, write up some catchy promotional words, and place them on E-bay. Hopefully we'll generate some cash from the sale of this stuff that can be used to buy groceries and other things that needy people actually need. If you're in the market for a battery powered dish scrubber I'm the man to see. I can throw in a few hundred plastic bottles if you need them. Tell your friends.
The job hunt seems to be picking up. I have been in contact with several headhunters this week and there may actually be some jobs out there for people with my qualifications and experience. I may have a real job interview in the next couple of days, which is a sobering thought. I mean, I want to find a job and all, but I don't really think that I'm emotionally ready yet to make another long-term employment commitment. My last break-up was hard on me. And hey, it's only been three months. That's not really much of a vacation. If I go back to work who will assume the critical photography responsibilities at Second Mile? Who make the bed every other day? Who will sleep until 8:00 every other morning? Who will stay up late and watch old movies and Seinfeld reruns?
My front yard is now almost completely dead (although for some reason my back yard is still hanging in there). This in spite of the fact that I now water every day, and - get this - it actual rained for about twenty minutes the other day. First time since April 27th. Vicki and I sat out on the back porch and watched it. In hindsight it was odd how excited we were about it. We had drinks and snacks as we watched. Who says we don't have extremely exciting lives!
Speaking of exciting, I think I'll sign off and watch the Astros game. They're only one game under .500 and poised I'm sure for another of their late season charges. I can dream. If only they could play the Pirates every night.
No comments:
Post a Comment