Monday, July 13, 2009

Another Hot Day

Today I took care of a little task I have been wanting to do since we moved into this house three years ago. The stone border around the flower/tree bed in the front corner of our yard has always been a little out of whack. The stones were uneven and some of them were sinking into the ground. So this morning I got an early start while the temperature was still in the mid-80's and took all of the stones apart and started over. The job took about two hours and I sweat about three gallons, but the finished product looks pretty good. Below are some "before" and "after" pictures.

Before . . .

After

After I finished my stone mason work I made a circuit around the front and back yards and pulled weeds from the flower beds. We had some friends over for dinner (see below) and I didn't want the yard to look like an abandoned house, so I cleaned up the beds a little. Not that it really mattered because nobody went outside anyway. Weeds are truly amazing things. Even though every thing else is dying and turning brown, I harvested an entire trash can full of healthy green weeds of all types. If people in third world countries could live on weeds there would be no world hunger.

We had Butch and Melanie and Randy and Terrell over for dinner. Kayla and Lance also hung around, so there were eight of us. Vicki made "Sunday dinner" which consisted of roast, mashed potatoes, corn and green beans. Yum! For dessert we had an assortment of ice cream flavors and an equal assortment of toppings. This was some world-class comfort food of the highest order, and we all enjoyed it.

After dinner we had a Wii bowling tournament. The competition was fierce in the first round, but in the finals Lance bowled at 234 and he and Kayla easily won over Randy and Terrell. It was sooo exciting! We're seriously considering putting a video of Vicki's bowling form on U-Tube. It would get at least ten million hits once the word got out.

This morning I talked to one of the multitude of recruiters who are (theoretically) trying to find me a job. It seems that there is a real chance that I may hear tomorrow that I have an interview. If I do get the interview I hope I'm the first of at least ten people they interview and that it takes at least a month for them to make the decision to hire me. That would be perfect.

Tomorrow: The air-conditioning guys will try again - for the third time - to show up for their appointment to do our "spring" A/C check-up. It sure is warm for spring. In the afternoon I'll be doing some minor repair work for a lady at church who is putting her house on the market. It's so nice to feel wanted!

No comments: