Haven't really been up to much for the last couple of days, but I'll think of something.
Well there was one minor catastrophe that happened yesterday involving our desktop computer. It was completely taken over by some type of virus or trojan worm. When I say completely I mean to the point where it became useless. This morning I took it to our local computer guy to have it stripped of the invasive bad stuff. It's really amazing that there are people who are obviously very intelligent and very skilled who use their talents in such a worthless and destructive way. What a bunch of slugs.
Oh yeah, the big July 4th shindig at the home of Butch and Melanie. It was a lot of fun. There was - as usual for our group - about five times as much food on hand as could have possibly been eaten. Maybe that's why there are so few slim people among us. After pigging out on burgers, hot dogs, various types of chip and dips, etc. we brought out the homemade ice cream, which was available in two varieties - vanilla and peach. I don't know about the plain vanilla, but the peach was really, really good - both bowls.
After the food fest we all headed for the pool. It's my observation that we have now arrived on the other side of caring how we look. People are happy to participate in pool activities until their mid-30's. Then, they become self-conscious about how their bodies look (usually for good reason) until they reach around age 50 and abstain from being seen in a bathing suit. Then - in spite of the fact that they usually look worse than ever - they don't seem to care and they return to the pool because it's fun. With the exception of two ladies with weak excuses we all hit the water. The "boys" did what we are actually better at now than we were in our primes - cannon balls! The added weight and girth make for much more impressive splashes.
As we enjoyed the pool, the fireworks - in spite of the ban - swirled around us, but not to the usual level experienced in Greatwood. In a normal year the smoke is so thick by 10:00 that you can hardly see. This year there were only a few random wisps floating around. I meant to hit the after the holiday sale at the local fireworks stands on Sunday, but I forgot.
I need to tell everyone about my most recent junk food discovery - cherry limeade chillers at Sonic! These things are great, but according to the Sonic commercials they are "seasonal". I encourage everyone to go to Sonic and continually buy these things so they'll stay on the menu premanently. For the weight-conscious among you, you can get them with made with diet cherry limeade. I was actually motivated to try a chiller by those two goof-balls who do the Sonic commercials. This is quite rare, because I pride myself on never being swayed by marketing. My streak is over.
I sent my brother an email this morning asking about the availability of his new vacation house in Colorado. It's brand new and he and his wife have only been there once or twice themselves. I don't know what his policy on letting family use his place is, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about using it for a few days. It looks like there is no forecast end to the 100+ degree weather in Houston, so taking in a little cool air in Colorado would be a nice change. I haven't heard back yet. I'll keep you posted if we manage to get to Colorado.
Tomorrow: I actually have absolutely nothing planned.
No comments:
Post a Comment