Well, tonight was a big night for me and nine of my closest friends. After weeks of excited anticipation the gastronomical event of the decade finally arrived - THE chicken fried steak dinner for ten at the home of the world famous cook Sharon Galvan. We qualified to attend this extravaganza by way of the fact that I was the high bidder for it at the First Colony Church of Christ's youth mission auction which was held this past February. This was probably the best $300 I ever spent.
FYI, this auction is an annual event that raises funds for various mission trips and mission support in various countries around the world, including Mexico, Haiti, Honduras, Uganda and Chile.
Dinner this evening included chicken fried steak (lightly breaded and delicious), garlic mashed potatoes (oh so fluffy), green beans (oh so green) and a wide selection of desserts (maybe the best part of the night). The dessert bar included cheese cake, raspberry cobbler, pecan pie, and carrot cake - all home made by Ms. Galvan.
No matter what anybody tells you, chicken fried steak is not health food - regardless of who makes it!
Here's Sharon posing with what's left of fifteen pounds of mashed potatoes! She was disappointed that we couldn't finish them off.
The entertainment for the evening was presented in several acts. Act One was Reid Curry, who regaled us with his wisdom of MicroSoft Word short cuts. For instance, did you know that Ctrl i will italicize what follows until the Ctrl i keys are hit again? How about Ctrl b, which will bold the following type? In addition his prowess with Word, Reid informed us that he is a "hybrid" individual, with "one foot in new age and one foot old school." And, he gets 47 miles per gallon.
Act Two was the group making fun of me for being a participant in the upcoming FCCC production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. [NOTE: I just hit Ctrl i to italicize the name of the play in the preceding sentence!] The jealousy at the table was a terrible thing to witness. I could tell that they we all just eaten up inside with envy as they envisioned me singing and dancing my way into the hearts of thousands during Joseph.
Act Three was the group making fun of me for blogging. Can you believe this? There is actually a segment of the population that doesn't understand blogging? The problem with these haters is that they can't accept what they can't understand. Because the creativity of the printed word is beyond their grasp, they fear what they can't comprehend - especially Reid, who announced to everyone that he hates to read (which will certainly serve him well during his next three years at Texas Tech). But don't worry, their closed minds only serve to make me want to blog more!
Here's a group shot of my overfed, blog-hating "friends" who have no appreciation for the theatre. NOTE: Sharon and her husband David (far left) are not part of this close-minded bunch of Neanderthals.
The group also discussed possible career options for me. Based on our discussions I think I'm going to try to get a job mowing golf courses while collecting lost golf balls from the course ponds, lakes, and streams. According Butch Watterson - a famous Greatwood realtor - he once sold a million dollar house to a guy who made his fortune selling used golf balls. As soon as we get back from our vacation in Colorado I intend to be all over this.
On a closing note, I was informed today by a close relative that my blog is boring. When I recovered from the devastation wrought by this comment I decided that maybe I do need to branch out and try to include more human interest stories. So, to that end I have decided that in addition to the every day run of the mill stories about my fascinating life I will start to include my candid musings about other things that I observe with my keen insight into the human condition. My first musing post will be happening in the next few days, so be on the lookout for it.
1 comment:
What a wonderful blog. I can't believe someone would call it boring. Speaking as a Neanderthal (as an auditor, I've been called much worse), I was impressed that you could post this at 6:50 when we did not leave until 8. I am also a hybrid; with one foot in old-school and one foot in the grave.
Post a Comment