Monday, September 14, 2009

The Weekend is Over - Now I Can Get Some Rest

It's Monday morning and I'm looking forward to a semi-relaxing day. This past weekend just about wore me out completely. I must be getting even older than I thought. It was non-stop starting on Friday. I spent all day on Friday working on the set for the Joseph show, which as you know is coming up the last weekend of this month and the first weekend of October (buy your tickets now before the scalpers snap them all up). We came back on Saturday morning for about four hours and just about finished it. You might think that putting together a set for a play is not such a big deal, but the set for this show is actually quite a construction project. A lot of work and a lot of lumber (heavy lumber) went into putting this thing together. We built it in five sections, which we'll move onto the main auditorium stage tonight. Once eveything in onstage we'll bolt it all together, do a little touch up painting, and we'll be ready.



The center platform of the set actually rises a few inches over ten feet above the stage. Yes, there will be hand rails, they just weren't installed yet in this picture. My character never makes it to the top of the platform. The highest I'll get is about step number ten.

After working on the set until almost 6:00 on Friday evening we had to be back for rehearsal at 7:00, which went until 10:30. Then, as I mentioned, we were back on Saturday morning to finish up on the set. Finally, on Saturday night at 7:00 it was time to have fun. We went over to Greg and Debbie's house for some ribs, college football, and dominoes. The ribs and the dominoes were great. The football game - Ohio State vs. USC - was another story. Being from Ohio and all, I was rooting for Ohio State, hoping they would reverse their recent history and actually win a big game. If you watched the game you know that they'll have to wait until the next big game to win a big game. Of lesser importance on the national sports scene, we also lost the domino game. However, I felt that I acquitted myself fairly well, given that I have only played dominoes twice in my life, most recently when George Bush Senior was president.

Yesterday was my first session teaching the Chapel Class at church. The Chapel Class is where most of the older people attend. It's where I probably should be every Sunday. This is a great class, but I was amazed at how long it took to get through prayer requests! By the time I made it to the podium to start my lesson I was thinking about opening with the question "Is there anybody in here who doesn't have a medical problem?" I also decided against asking "Who would like to discuss the Weather Channel?"

After a nice two-hour nap during the Texans game it was back to the church building for Sunday afternoon rehearsal, which went until about 8:30. I have to say that the show is really, really starting to come together. Some of us are still a little fuzzy on a couple of the dance routines, but I'm confident we'll all be moon walking by show time.

No comments: