Thursday, September 17, 2009

I Started a Fire - But My Letter DID Show Up On Time

In a rarely occurring event, I am actually making two blog posts today. My first one was at about 6:30 this morning and because so many important things have happened in the last twelve hours I felt the need to update everyone on my exciting day!

First of all, Kayla called me at 12:04 to let me know that she received her next day delivery letter. She was actually expecting it because she had read my blog and knew it was supposed to be coming. All is well in the world of the U.S. Postal Service and those people at the Shell convenience store.

As today is Thursday, I spent most of the day at Second Mile Mission. It was a slow day for clients, but an exciting day for me. First of all I set up seven tables and 42 chairs in the big room they call the "worship center" for some type of function that will be happening on Saturday. If that wasn't exciting enough, I was then called on to cut the lock off of one of the lady's lockers. It seems that she had lost her key somewhere during the 58 foot walk from the locker area to her desk and needed to leave for an important appointment, which would of course be impossible without her car keys. My boss, Tom, suggested that I use the Mission's reciprocating saw, also known to us construction savvy types as a "saws all". For those of you not familiar with a saws all, it ranks number two behind only the chain saw as a weapon of mass destruction. While Tom held the padlock with a pair of pliers, I sawed away. I didn't tell him until we had finished that there would have been no way I would have held the lock for him. His trust in me was astonishing and a true indication that he really doesn't know me very well.


After we had successfully removed the lock I was left to put away the tools, which included an extension cord. As I was winding the cord around my arm it began to smoke and then actually burst into flames. It seems that the cord had previously been damaged (probably by someone with a saws all) and then "repaired" with duct tape. There was obviously a short which caused the blaze. A video of me jumping around trying to get the flaming cord off my arm before it consumed me would have been a sure fire (pardon the pun) hit on You Tube, but alas nobody was there to either witness of video the event. Anyway, I got the cord off my arm before it burned me, jerked it out of the wall socket, and then stomped on it to put out the fire. Other than a black mark on the linoleum there was not major damage. After the incident I mentioned to Tom that he might want to consider checking the effectiveness of his smoke detectors. I knocked off at about 2:30 and went home for a well-deserved nap.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day. The lady who is doing the final painting on the chariot (you do remember the chariot?) emailed me this afternoon that it is finished and ready for action. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll post pictures. It should be awesome.

No comments: