I haven't blogged for awhile because I haven't been doing much of anything worth talking about. But, as has been my practice over the last several months, the fact that my life has become rather boring won't stop me from continuing to write about it, at least occasionally.
This past weekend was a big one for Joseph rehearsals. We practiced for almost four hours on Friday night, and Sunday afternoon/evening we had a modified "dress rehearsal" during which we ran through the whole show in costume for the first time, stopping during every scene for pictures. One thing that became clear when we put on our costumes was that they are hot! I don't mean that they made us look hot - as in sexy, good looking, etc - but hot as in 120 degrees, sweating like a pig hot. Between the pants, shirt, tunic and headgear I was pretty much soaked fifteen minutes into the show. I'm not too clear on exactly why all the pictures were taken or where they'll be used. During the rehearsal Vicki was recruited by the director to scribe notes on what needed to be corrected. She took five pages of notes, so it's obvious that we still have some polishing to do before show time this Saturday.
I bought my bottle of Just for Men Beard and Mustache Color at Target on Saturday. I may have mentioned that our director encouraged all of us "brothers" to grow beards for the show, but at the same time told us that she doesn't want us to look like a bunch of old men. News flash Pam - the majority of us are old men. At any rate, those of us with grey in our beards (me included) will be required to dye them dark for the show. I was checking out the Just for Men instructions and was surprised to find that they recommend a "48 hour pre-application allergy test" to determine if it's safe to use the stuff. The test involves putting a dab of the gel on the inside of your elbow - which turns your skin black - and then watching for any type of negative reaction. There is a list of possible side effects and other bad stuff to be aware of, all of which seemed a little extreme just to dye a beard. So far it looks like I'm safe.
Yesterday I spent the morning at a church friend's house helping her get ready for a big estate sale. She sold her house and is moving into a smaller one next month. My task was to move everything from the garage attic down into the garage. I was amazed at how much Christmas stuff this lady has! She could set up one of those deals where you pay $7 and drive your car through the winter wonderland scenes. But, it was no winter wonderland yesterday. It was hot and humid, especially in a garage attic. Continuing with the sweating theme I introduced above, I was soaked through and through by the time I finished.
Today I have a "networking lunch" appointment with one (possibly two) accounts reps from Aetna with whom I worked - when I used to work. Lunch is at the Grotto, which is a fairly upscale Italian restaurant in the Galleria area. Today's lunch will officially kick off my networking campaign. I have another lunch date on Friday and then another next Tuesday. I must admit that I have now reached the cusp of becoming at least a little concerned about finding another job. I've now passed the five-month mark of unemployment and I'm no closer to a job today than I was on April 17th. On the other hand, I've really only been seriously looking for about three weeks, so I'm not planning any bank robberies or liquor store heists just yet.
Vicki and I are looking forward to this weekend because Kayla and Lance and Bethany and Cody are all coming into town on Friday afternoon and evening for the big show on Saturday night. Kayla and Lance are flying in from Lubbock and Bethany and Cody are driving down from Round Rock after work. Cody and Lance would like to try to go to the Texans game of Sunday. If you know of anyone trying to get rid of some tickets let me know. They would prefer to be in one of the luxury boxes, but will settle for whatever's available.
No comments:
Post a Comment