An amazing thing happened this morning - it RAINED! I'm not talking about the stray afternoon shower that lasts for ten minutes and then the sun is out again. No, I'm talking about a rain that starts at 8:30 in the morning and lasts until almost noon. This is the first real rain we've had at our house since the end of April. I'm sure that what's left of the grass in the front yard will finally be happy. Each blade must feel like a concentration camp survivor by now.
Star Furniture is supposed to deliver our new desk this afternoon between 1:00 and 4:00. Because of the damage fest described in my last blog they will be delivering it for free instead of charging us the standard $100 delivery fee (a huge rip off under any circumstances). I'll make sure that I check the desk carefully to ensure that they are delivering a new, undamaged, unrepaired desk. I'm hoping for the best, but I won't be too surprised if things go south.
Yesterday I got a new battery for Vicki's car. It had been starting hard and we'd had to jump it the last few times it tried to leave the garage, so we thought it was time for a new one. Day before yesterday I took it to Auto Zone in Rosenberg to have it checked. It's an Auto Zone battery (their Dura Last Gold model!) with a three-year full replacement warranty, and since I bought it in the summer of 2007 I could get another one for free. Free batteries for the unemployed is a great concept. I heard Obama was taking credit for it. Anyway, because of the difficulty in starting the car I left it running when I went into the store. Within a minute or two a very friendly Auto Zone guy came out with his battery tester. I told him I'd turn off the car and he said it was okay to leave it running. This didn't sound right to me, and I told him I thought the car had to be turned off to properly check the battery. He assured me that leaving the car running was perfectly fine. He then checked the battery and told me it was fine, but that there might be a problem with the alternator, something about 13.8 volts instead of 15 volts? The car started fine and I left, intending to have the car checked by our mechanic.
Yesterday when we got in the car to leave it wouldn't start. As a matter of fact, it sounded like it wasn't even thinking about starting. So, we jumped it again and went on our way, making sure not to turn off the car at any time during our journey. On the way home I remembered that we were in the vicinity of the Auto Zone in our old Quail Valley neighborhood. I thought I'd stop by there for another opinion. I followed the same pattern, leaving the car running. This time the Auto Zone guy - a slightly more seasoned (older) guy - told me that you can't check a battery if the engine is running. Hmmm. This time around the tester said that the battery was bad, so I got a new battery. The moral of the story is that old guys usually know what they're talking about. There are, of course, exceptions.
This afternoon I have it on my calendar to call the VP of Human Resources at a pipeline company that has recently relocated their corporate office to Houston from Pennsylvania. This is probably my first actual good job lead. Hopefully the guy will be in his office and he'll take my call. I hope he doesn't still have one of those old school secretaries who considers it her mission in life to keep anyone from bothering her boss. Those types are great when they're on your side, but a real pain when they're not. Sort of like Pete Rose and Terrell Owens.
We're swinging into the stretch drive of rehearsals for the Joseph show. Last night those of us with solos (yes, I have a solo) were actually hooked up with wireless mics, the house lights were down, and the stage lights were up. It gave rehearsal a whole new feeling - sort of like a performance. I've never been hooked up to a wireless mic before. It was kind of fun but also kind of scary thinking about actually singing in front of several hundred people - especially people who paid good money to be there. Plus, I tend to cry easily in the face of anger and flying vegetables.
My request that those who read my blog contact me netted a total of five responses. I think that's way low. I'll bet there are at least seven or eight people who are addicted to reading everything I write. I can just feel the vibe every time I write something, especially when the topic is furniture, car batteries and rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment