Thursday, October 29, 2009

I Hate It When People Tell Me How Busy They Are

Wow, I haven't posted anything on my blog since October 18th - a record for being absent from blogger land. I hate myself for saying this, but the reason for my extended absence has been that I have been really, well . . . busy. Stop laughing . . . I'm serious. I really have been busy with several projects. The problem from a blogging standpoint is that none of these projects are blog-worthy from a writing perspective because they're all kind of boring. But I'll tell you all about them anyway:

Second Mile Mission Center - I continue to volunteer at Second Mile every Thursday. Lately I've been spending more time working in the food pantry of the mission, which is usually one busy place! Last Thursday I was there from 9:00 until 3:00 and we served 72 clients. If you do the math that's one every five minutes, which wouldn't be too bad if they actually came every five minutes. It was more like nobody for twenty minutes and then ten people at once. A lot of groceries go through Second Mile on an average day.

Speaking of Second Mile, Vicki and I were there today to help out with their annual "come to Second Mile for a free lunch and a short program and then we'll ask you for money." That may not be the official name for this event, but you get the picture. Vicki recruited several ladies from our First Family group, so I was just one of the girls serving lunch to our visitors. I handled the extremely technical job of handing out canned drinks. After about ten people I got the hang of it and did pretty well. My favorite part of the day was the lady who said "This is typical mid-western food - all meat and starch." This triggered two thoughts. Thought number one - it's free. If you don't want to eat it, don't eat it! Thought number two - when did Houston become part of the mid-west? I think I also heard her say she had just moved here from Connecticut, which she probably thinks is part of Canada.

Girls Reflecting Glory Conference - This is an annual conference put on by the First Colony Church of Christ for - as the name would imply - girls. I'm not sure what this year's theme is - something about girls I'm betting - but that isn't stopping me from working on the stage set. This project is becoming eerily similar to any my home improvement projects in that my original estimate of how long it will take to complete will need to be multiplied by at least ten. If you're not doing anything during the day next Monday and Tuesday please give me a call.

FCCC Winter's Eve - This is the annual church Christmas program. As a result of my triumphant stage success in Joseph (and the fact that I'm unemployed with lots of time on my hands) I was asked to participate on the committee that is writing the script for the show. We're trying to change things up a little this year and get away from ten people singing a song followed by the big chorus performing for forty-five minutes. This year's show will actually have a theme - sorry, it's a big secret - and is supposed to be funny. We'll see. I have a speaking part.

FCCC Fall Festival - This is the annual Halloween carnival, with the name "Halloween" strategically removed so that people won't confuse us with worshipers of the occult, witchcraft, or the ultimate sign of satan - the jack-o-lantern. The way this works is different groups get together and sponsor booths. This year our theme - designed and largely constructed by yours truly - is "Clown Town", which will be a madcap celebration of clowns and balloons (Note: there will be no orange or black balloons, which if you squint real hard could possibly be mistaken for a jack-o-lantern). If your kids don't get enough candy during their trick or treat outing on Halloween night - or if you eat all the good stuff after they go to bed and want more - bring them over to the Fall Festival this Sunday. It runs from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. No scary costumes, hockey masks, or any pumpkin-related items will be admitted.

Other items of interest, or not.

This week a new family moved in across the street from us. We haven't met them yet, but they moved themselves in two gigantic U-Haul trucks so they must be some down to earth people. I waved to the dad this morning when we were both taking our trash cans out. Maybe I'll get a chance to go over and introduce myself sometime this weekend. I'll take some cookies.

Bethany and Cody are coming to town for a short visit this weekend. Cody bought a truck somewhere in the area and is coming to pick it up. I'm excited to have a pick-up in the family.

I noticed on the weather news yesterday that Houston is now only 2.09 inches behind on rainfall for 2009, which goes to show just how much rain we've had over the last six weeks. We're supposed to get another 1-3 inches today and tomorrow, so we should be just about caught up by the end of the month. Because November and December are usually pretty wet months we'll probably exceed the average rainfall by year end. Only in Houston could you not have any rain for over three months and still get more rain than average for the year.

Saturday night is our big First Family Halloween party! Vicki and I are going as dominoes (the rectangular tiles with dots on them, not pizza). I'll take pictures. I promise.

No comments: