This past weekend was a big one for those of us who had the Halloween spirit, regardless of the name by which it was referred. On Saturday night we had our annual First Family Halloween party. It was okay to use the term Halloween because only consenting adults (sort of) were present. As I mentioned in a previous post, Vicki and I came to the party dressed as dominoes, which we thought were pretty cool costumes. The judges, alas, were not impressed with our costume selection and we did not finish in the money in the best costume contest. The winning couple included a nun and a Jewish rabbi. However, we more than redeemed ourselves in the pumpkin decorating contest, where we walked away with the "best in show" award. Thanks to our friends the Jensons for hosting the big party.
Vicki and I during our grand entrance. Vicki wanted to be the
double six because it's the highest numbered domino.
I wanted to be the three-five for a reason that
has now escaped my memory.
Vicki and I working on our award winning pumpkin,
which was by far the best in the contest.
Our winning pumpkin.
Note: After the judging the scissors were added by a
disgruntled competitor who was apparently a sore loser.
On Sunday evening we gathered for the annual Family Fest, which under no circumstances should be construed to be associated with Halloween in any way, shape or form. As you may possibly discern from the following pictures, we were clowns. But not just any clowns. We were the clowns who were manning the enchanted balloon house, where countless children were able to win candy by tossing rings around the clowns' heads. It was a lot of fun for the kids and for us. The only down side was that I woke up on Monday morning with a sore throat and some semi-significant congestion. My guess is that somewhere in my contact with about 500 kids I picked up a germ or two. I'm feeling much better today.
Here I am posing with two of my jovial associates who were taking the first shift in the balloon house for the clown ring toss game. I actually look kind of scary.
Clown team picture. Note that we all apparently went to the same place to buy our wigs.
Guess who?

Vicki and a fellow clownette.
On Monday those of us who are on Facebook received a "thank you" note which I'm certain was intended as a compliment for our efforts. It came from a very nice lady at the First Colony church who had brought her children to the Family Fest. It said, "It's so nice of the grandparents and all of the older people [my emphasis added] to put so much effort into providing our children with such a fun time!" Seeing as how Vicki and I are not grandparents it's nice to know that we have officially arrived as "older people." Next year I plan to expose myself to the bubonic plague and hug her kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment