Friday, October 2, 2009

My Stage Career is Now 60% Over

This morning we performed the Joseph show for some area school children, about 700 of them. About half of them came from Velsaquez Elementary School, which is a Lamar Consolidated school in the back of Greatwood. Of our three shows, this was by far the most enthusiastic crowd. I guess if I was ten years old again that I'd be pretty enthused about anything that got me out of school for half a day. Regardless of the motive for their motivation, the kids were really into the show and we all had a really great time.

Speaking of the show, this was our third of five performances, which means that we are now 60% of the way through. This has been the perfect show for someone with my underwhelming talents - singing and dancing as part of a group of guys whose primary function in the story line is to provide comic relief. In spite of the fairly grueling rehearsal schedule and all of the time I spent working on the stage and set, I have had a ton of fun participating in this project. It has been so gratifying to hear all of the positive comments we've had from everyone who has attended and to realize that we have truly entertained people. That is a great feeling! We have also been amazed by the number of people who have shown up to watch the show. We heard this morning that when all is said and done our total attendance will probably top 2,400 people. Not bad for a bunch of amateurs. We are all pumped for the last two shows tomorrow and Sunday. My brother, Greg, and his wife Linda (of the vacation home in Colorado fame) are coming to the Saturday show, and our across-the-street neighbors are coming on Sunday. I can't wait to show off my mad singing and dancing skills.

I spent some time at Second Mile yesterday interviewing one of the directors regarding the project I have taken on to write a personnel policies and procedures manual for them. This should be an interesting little project and I'm looking forward to putting together something that will help Second Mile operate more efficiently.

After my Second Mile gig I had a networking lunch with one of the attorneys who works for the downtown law firm that we used for HR-related issues while I was at GlobalSantaFe. She has some great contacts and I know she'll try to help me in any way she can to run down another job. When I arrived at Guadalajara's I was surprised to run into a table full of my old friends from Transocean. I say Transocean, but most of them were actually GlobalSantaFe people who have continued to survive. I hadn't seen any of them since my demise as a Transocean employee and it was nice to say hello and see that they all seem to be getting along just fine without me. One of those present was the lady who used to be my administrative assistant. It was her birthday and she got to wear the community sombrero and everything. Quite festive.

Every time I go to Second Mile I see something that either amuses me or amazes me. Last week I saw something that both amused and amazed me. As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed a guy getting out of a new Jaguar. We exchanged pleasantries as we walked into the reception area. As I was signing in and putting on my "Volunteer" badge I heard him say to the receptionist "I'm here to do my community service." Usually the community service people are kids who stabbed a classmate with a pencil or skipped school fifty times. This was a grown man in a new Jag. I wasn't working with him so I never got the chance to ask what he was in for. If he's back next week I'll make sure to find out.

There's not much else happening. I really need to find a job before I completely run out of things to write about.

BONUS!!!!! MOVIE REVIEW

This afternoon Vicki and I went to see the movie The Secret Life of Jonathan Sperry. If you want to see a movie with big-name stars that's packed with action and special effects then definitely skip this one. However, if you want to see a movie that's packed with solid Christian values, some geeky characters, and an uplifting true story of what a man with an unyielding faith in Jesus Christ can do for those around him, then check this movie out. I'd advise seeing it sooner than later because I doubt if it will be in theaters for very long.

No comments: