WARNING: This post is both boring and depressing. Other than that it's fine.
Yesterday I hit my nine-month anniversary of being without a job. At first I enjoyed having all of my time to myself. For the first four or five months I actually had a great time - traveling, volunteering at youth camps, catching up on my around-the-house projects, going to movies in empty theaters, etc. However, I have now officially reached the point where I am ready to go back to work. Maybe it's the time of the year. All of the holiday festivities are now behind us and we're into the winter doldrums.
Today I spent the morning finishing off my project to replace rotted fence pickets. With that behind me I then spent a few hours going through all of the files in our computer room/office. I went through just about every file and purged them of outdated, unneeded, and otherwise useless records. The highlight was shedding the old bank and credit card statements. I filled up two large trash cans! The hum of the shredder reminded me of the good old days at work. After getting over the excitement of all this it really hit me - I am starting to get really bored! I realize that I have fallen into a routine where I start to watch television with the five o'clock news and continue until going to bed, whenever that may be. Last night I watched a 1941 movie until past midnight. So, today I came up with a list of what's good about having a job. Here goes, in no particular order:
1. Getting up every morning with a definite purpose. Not that I haven't had some decent definite purposes over the last few months, but getting excited about shredding old documents and watching TV for six hours a day . . . ugh!
2. Having to think ahead and plan in order to accomplish everything you want to accomplish. My time management skills have not exactly been tested by cramming occasional two-hour projects into my sixteen waking hours.
3. Not having time to watch so much TV. When Vicki suggested this evening that we join the Wheel-of-Fortune "Wheel Watcher's Club" I realized that I'm becoming my grandmother.
4. Looking forward to a well earned vacation. It will take me at least another five years of work before any vacation will be termed "well earned."
5. Utilizing my vast experience and wisdom to solve semi-difficult problems. My biggest challenge today was not falling asleep during CSI Miami.
6. Not spending so much time on the Internet. Today I almost checked out an article on which celebrities wore the best and worst dresses to the Golden Globes. I resisted, but just the fact that the thought crossed my mind was horrifying.
7. Getting paid. True, I'm still collecting severance, but that will end before I know it. A long-term paycheck is the only way to go.
On a slightly less serious note, Bob's Taco Station in beautiful downtown Rosenberg, Texas was on Drive-Ins, Diners and Dives tonight. It was fun seeing on television the actual tables were we sit and the actual waiters who bring us our tacos.
Tomorrow I have a telephone interview with a Houston company that does benefits administration for companies that outsource their benefit programs. This job would probably allow me to utilize my vast experience and wisdom to solve semi-difficult problems. I noticed on their website that they offer a 30-day sabbatical to their employees every five years. I think I could handle a 30-day break every five years.
No comments:
Post a Comment