NOTICE: Before you get started reading this post, if you haven't already done so you need to check out Jason and Lindsey's blog (in the list to the left) for information and pictures on the new addition to their family - Ava Reese Campbell. The new Ms. Campbell is reputed to be the fattest and cutest baby ever born.
Okay, now that you're back I'll start on my thoughts for today. I start my new job on Monday, February 1st. After being off work for over nine months I'm really ready to get back into the every day grind. But, there are definitely some things I'll miss about the freedom of not having to go to a job every day. The following is a list of some of these things -
Week Day Matinee Movies - It's great being able to watch a movie in an almost-empty theater. If you know me you know that I have pretty much sworn off going to movies on Friday or Saturday nights because of the extreme likelihood that half of the people in the theater will be either 1) carrying on conversations as if they're the only ones around, 2) making calls on their cells phones, 3) taking calls on their cells phones, or 4) just plain being annoying. When you go to a movie at 2:00 on a Tuesday afternoon most of the fewer than ten people in attendance are so old they don't even know how to use a cell phone.
Watching Turner Classic Movies - Over the last nine months I have become almost addicted to watching old movies on TCM. I have developed a special fondness for movies from the 1930's and 1940's. No profanity, no sex, no nudity and no over-the-top special effects. The good guys almost always win, and there is no glorifying bad behavior. These old movies are all about the story and the characters. I'll miss staying up until 2:00 AM watching these things.
Traveling Whenever We Feel Like It - Since last April we've taken a 13-day swing through the southwestern U.S., spent a week in Colorado, been to Lubbock a couple of times, and been to Round Rock several times. Oh, and did I mention ten days in Costa Rica? I've also spent a week each at two Christian youth camps, in Abilene and Bandera (not exactly around the corner from Sugar Land).
Sleeping Late - Starting on Monday I'll be getting up at 5:00 every Monday through Thursday. This isn't really that big of a deal for me because that's been my wake-up time for most the the last 15 years (excluding of course the last nine months). But, I have gotten used to sleeping until 7:00 on most days, and later if I've been up really late taking in a TCM movie (see above). I have a feeling that I'll be taking lunch time naps for at least the first week of work.
Breakfast at Bob's Taco Station - We don't go every morning, but we do hit Bob's for breakfast on average twice a month or so. In the future Bob's will be a Friday or Saturday morning only event.
Keeping Up With Things Around the House - Since I've been off I've replaced two toilets, installed low-voltage exterior lighting, done some minor indoor electrical work, replaced 57 rotten fence pickets, reworked the stone around the flower bed in the front yard, planted some new shrubs, kept the old scrubs trimmed, taken on a few house cleaning chores, hung some curtains, and done some other stuff I can't remember. The only thing I somehow didn't manage to get to was the leaky drain in the kitchen. I'll now be getting home from work around 7:00, so it'll be back to saving chores up for the weekend.
Volunteering - The most difficult thing about volunteering is finding time to do it. When you're jobless that isn't really a big problem. I have really enjoyed working at Second Mile Mission every Thursday and seeing just how dedicated the staff there is to serving the less fortunate people of southwest Houston. I've also had time to take on several short-term projects for people in need, do some random work at FCCC, and work on the set design for the Joseph show, the FCCC Girls Conference, and Winter's Eve. I've learned some new things and made some new friends.
Blogging on a Regular Basis - Since starting our blog back on May 23, 2009 we have posted 98 blogs, which works out to a new post every three or four days. We've been able to do that for two reasons - 1) we've been able to to some relatively interesting things, and 2) I've had time to blog. Once I go back to work both 1) and 2) above will go away. I don't see me blogging about what I do at work every day. For the most part experience one of my average work days will be boring enough. Writing about it would be excruciating for all of us. That being said, I'll bet I come up with a few good stories about my new place and my new colleagues during the first few weeks. I'm sure there will be a personality or two worth writing about.
Okay, that should about do it for now. Wish me luck. I hope my alarm clock goes off at 5:00 on Monday morning. It too will need to get back into the swing of things.
No comments:
Post a Comment