Vicki and I leave tomorrow after church for Camp Bandina, which is in beautiful Bandera, Texas. Bandera is on the other side of San Antonio, about four hours from Houston (I think). There will be about 285 of us from FCCC, and we'll be group leaders for a group of ten FCCC kids who graduated from high school this past June. Our topic for the week is "FREEDOM!" which will develop the concepts of sin, forgiveness through Jesus Christ, and ultimately freedom from sin. We had a camp leaders meeting earlier today and it was verified that all we'll be doing is leading the group meetings - no staying in the cabins with the campers, no working in the kitchen, no keeping track of kids - just the nine group meeting sessions. We're excited to be going. Weather forecast - temperature in the low 100's every day.
When camp ends on Friday morning we'll be leaving Bandera and heading for beautiful Westcliffe, Colorado by way of Lubbock, Texas. We'll spend Friday night at Kayla and Lance's place in Lubbock, wash clothes, cool off, and then leave for Colorado on Saturday morning. We'll be staying at my brother Greg's new house. He'll be there for a few days and I've promised to help him out with a few projects. I figure it's the least I can do in exchange for a week of coolness. We'll also do a little trout fishing, which he tells me is great.
We got some great news on Thursday. Our good friends Greg and Debbie, current residents of Katy, Texas have sold their house and bought another one in Greatwood. We're looking forward to having them as neighbors when they move in about a quarter of a mile from us. They are "spontaneous" people, which means that they are fine with getting a 7:00 dinner invitation at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon.
I finished my "Life of Joseph" curriculum this week. My outline ended up being 55 pages long, which will used by our adult Bible class teachers to support a five-week study that starts on September 13th. If you're in the vicinity on Sunday mornings drop by. I'll be teaching the "Chapel Class" which is the people who are even older than me. I've taught in there before and they are a great group who loves to discuss. The best part about putting something like this together is the knowledge you gain in the process. I'm now almost an expert on the second half of Genesis.
This morning I changed the tail light on Kayla's VW Beetle. I thought this would be about a five minute task (it would be on a Toyota), but . . . no. If it wasn't for the wonders of the Internet I never would have figured out how to change that light. I actually Googled "changing a tail light on a Volkswagen Beetle" and like magic a complete description - including pictures - appeared. Whoever designed the Beetle did it with the dealership repair technicians in mind.
Speaking of repair technicians, Vicki had a minor accident in her Highlander this afternoon. She was backing out of her parking space at HEB and the person directly behind her happened to be backing out at exactly the same time. I think there's a physics corollary that says two things can't occupy the same space at the same time (I'm paraphrasing). It was her versus a pickup truck with a trailer hitch. The trailer hitch won in a unanimous decision. The damage is minor and it doesn't affect the way the car runs. But we probably won't spend the money to fix it right now, so her car will be ghetto for awhile.
I'm hoping to continue my blogging habit over the next two weeks, but I don't know what kind of Internet access I'll have at Bandina or in Colorado. Bandera is almost in the dead center of nowhere, and Westcliffe has a population of 340. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of us wearing jackets . . . maybe even gloves and hoods!
No comments:
Post a Comment