Monday, August 24, 2009

A Chariot, A Museum, and A Book Review


This afternoon I finished the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat chariot. Well, I almost finished it. There are still a few minor paint-related details to take care of, but basically it's finished. I decided to go with a modified version of the Superman logo, replacing the "S" with a "J" (for Joseph, get it?). I also added eleven stars, representing one of the dreams Joseph had regarding his brothers becoming subservient to him. I hope Director Pam likes the finished product, especially the license plate.

The story of Joseph and his eleven brothers is found in Genesis chapters 37 through 46.

I need to update my last post. I failed to mention the final event of Kayla's "Week of Fun" schedule. In addition to breakfast at the Breakfast Klub last Friday, we also visited the Holocaust Museum. Now, visiting this museum isn't exactly what anyone would can fun, but it is a very interesting place, and well worth a visit by anyone who's interest in 20th century history. The museum is in the Museum District (who would have guessed) but it's a little difficult to find. Our GPS actually gave the wrong address, so unless you enjoy driving around taking in the sights while you're lost you might want to call for directions before you go. If you go make sure you visit the exhibit on "Muslims Who Saved Jews" which is in a hall off the main exhibit area. The exhibit consists of photographs and stories of Albanian Muslims who sheltered Jews during World War II. The stories are interesting in that they all have a central theme with very similar quotes by the Muslim protectors, which was "We are all children of the same God. To allow any of God's children to die at the hands of the Nazis would be a sin against God." I wonder if contemporary Albanian Muslims continue to feel this way?

One of the nice things about not having to go to work every day (or any day for that matter) is that I have gotten to actually read a few books this summer. Last week I finished an interesting sports books titled Horns, Hogs, & Nixon Coming (Texas vs. Arkansas in Dixie's Last Stand). The book is about the 1969 football "Game of the Century" between the University of Texas and the University of Arkansas. In addition to the expected heavy dose of football, the book details the strife and tension that existed on both campuses over the war in Viet Nam and the continuing racial segregation that continued to exist in the football programs of both schools. Horns fans will find a happy ending.

As my unemployment continues I run into more and more people who ask me "Don't you get bored not going to work? What do you do all day?" I've given those questions some thought and come to the realization that with the exception of a few days, I haven't really had time to be bored. I've put together a list of the things I've been doing since my first day of unemployment, which occurred on April 20th. Since that date there have been 89 official work days. During those 89 days I have done the following -

Vacation Trip to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Sedona, Carlsbad Caverns - 10 days

Vacation Trip to Colorado - 5 days

Kadesh Leadership at Abilene Christian University (Group Leader) - 5 days

Camp Bandina (Group Leader) - 5 days

Installed low-voltage accent lights around the house (very exciting) - 1 day

Installed two new toilets (extremely exciting) - 1 day

Volunteer at Second Mile Mission (every Thursday) - 8 days

Research and write FCCC adult curriculum of Fall session of adult Bible classes - 7 days

Assist FCCC member with household repairs - 3 days

Build Joseph show chariot - 3 days

Read two books - 3 days

Install wall brackets and flat screen TV's in class room at the FCCC church building - 1 day

Visit Bethany and Cody in Austin - 1 day

Played golf - 1 day

That comes to 54 days of doing things I can definitely identify. In addition, I have cleaned the house a few times, done some yard work, gone shopping with Vicki a few times, and spent a lot of hours at Joseph rehearsals. So, I've had a few boring stretches, but not many.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed! It looks so good & has gone through a huge transformation!! :)