Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Snow? In Houston?

I heard the long range forecast this morning, and believe it or not it calls for the possibility of snow this Friday. That seemed almost unheard of until in the same forecast it noted that it snowed in Houston last year on December 10th. It must have been the lightest snowfall ever, because I sure don't remember anything about it.

My knee is coming along really well. As a matter of fact, unless I bend it in just the right way it doesn't even hurt anymore. I've been getting really serious about my rehab regimen, which I do twice a day. I'm also now riding a recumbent exercise bike 20 minutes a day and taking walks (I'm up to a mile and a half). I borrowed the bike from a friend at church. I put a notice on the FCCC Market Place (the church classified), asking anyone who had a bike they weren't using to let me know if I could borrow it. The response was overwhelming. It seems that just about everyone has an exercise bike gathering dust. I go in tomorrow afternoon for another session with my physical therapist, and she says that she'll be kicking things up a notch. After my workouts I put my leg into a "cryogenic sleeve" that has just come out of the freezer, which I pump up with a small pump. I think Michael Jackson slept in one of these things for awhile. I leave the knee in for twenty minutes, which just about freezes it.

This morning I made my first visit to the Jobs Ministry Southwest meeting, which is hosted by Williams Trace Baptist Church in Sugar Land. I signed up about two months ago, but today was the first time I actually went. They offer workshops on resume writing, interviewing skills, networking, etc. All the stuff you're supposed to master in order to find just the right job. They also sponsor a job bank, for which I registered online when I got home. And, they have a speaker every week. The guy today talked about defining what you're good at, what you love to do, and then selling yourself. It was supposed to be motivational, and I suppose it was for some of the people there, but I left feeling a little depressed about the whole job-seeking experience. It's now been almost eight months and all I have to show in the way of progress is one 45-minute telephone interview for a job I wasn't interested in. I'm going to two - yes two - professional events tomorrow. The first one is downtown at 7:30 AM. It'll be good to drive in some serious rush hour traffic again. I don't want to lose my edge. Maybe it'll be raining, which will make the experience even more memorable.

Speaking of the holidays, we decorated the house yesterday for Christmas. "Decorated" may be a strong word for this year's effort. As I may have mentioned ten or twelve times, we're taking the entire fam on our Costa Rican "trip of a lifetime" this Christmas. In light of the fact that Kayla and Bethany and the sons-in-law won't be showing up until December 23rd, and that we won't be home the last week of December, we went minimal on the decorating this year.

As I read this post it strikes me that it is without a doubt the least entertaining and biggest downer I've ever subjected people to. I'll try to do better next time.

Wait! I almost forgot . . . We went to see the movie The Blind Side this past Saturday night. We arrived about 30 minutes before show time and were surprised to find that there was actually a line of about 100 people waiting to get into this movie. I haven't waited in line for a movie since Forrest Gump. The theater ended up being packed to capacity, with people orbiting around looking for seats right up until the movie started. Sandra Bullock was really fantastic in this movie, but overall I was a little disappointed - maybe because I read the book and my expectations were too high. That being said, however, everyone else seemed to really love the movie (Vicki included). I give it an eight. It's a great true story - definitely worth seeing.

No comments: