Friday, December 11, 2009

Countdown to Vacation

Well, we're now counting down the days until our vacation trip to Costa Rica. Now that my knee is all fixed I don't really have much to talk about, other than to tell people that I'm about 98% back to normal. I am continuing my therapy, trying to make sure that I'll be good to go for our action adventures in Costa Rica. I think my rehab experience is giving me an idea of what it's like to have a personal trainer. You pay someone to make you work hard, to feel the burn, to stay focused, etc. Hmmm.

Tonight is dress rehearsal for Winter's Eve - First Colony Church of Christ's annual holiday extravaganza. Call me a pessimist, but I don't have high hopes for the success of this show. Too few rehearsals, difficulty finding willing participants, marginally cheesy scripts . . . But, as I've said before, these things usually end up coming off much better than expected. Let's hope so. My character - a cowboy - has exactly five lines and is on stage for about three minutes about half way into the show, which means that I won't have to stick around past about 7:30 each night. Show time is 7:00 pm this Saturday and Sunday evenings. Good seats still available.

This has been a very encouraging week on the job hunting front. I came across two pretty good leads for jobs that I'd actually be interested in taking. Both of them are in Greenway Plaza. One is in the building next door to my old employer Transocean. I also received a call this week from someone at a company in the Greenspoint area inquiring as to whether or not I might be interested in discussing a contract job that could turn into permanent. I gave it some thought, but then decided that an hour plus commute twice a day isn't something I'm ready to accept just yet.

Yesterday at Second Mile an Eagle Scout candidate brought in about 50 bicycles that he refurbished for his service project. Some of the these bikes looked almost brand new. They'll be distributed to the kids of some of the families that Second Mile serves. These was one interesting incident involving these bikes. When they were being brought in one of the guys who works in the warehouse noticed that one of the bikes belonged to his son. It had been stolen several months ago. That was the bad news. The good news was that the bike was in better condition that when it was stolen.

That's really about if for now. Not much going on.

No comments: