Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Fun

Yesterday was Memorial Day. A day to remember all of those who have given their lives for this country, but also a day to have some fun. Being that I'm unemployed the day didn't seem much different from a typical Monday. But, being that everyone else had the day off, some of us managed to get together for what is becoming one of my favorite things to do - play horseshoes! I know, I know, horseshoes is basically an old man's game, but I'm not exactly getting any younger so maybe it's good that I'm getting into the game.

We played over at Fort Bend Country's newly constructed state-of-the-art horseshoe venue - the Roberts Horseshoe Dome (more commonly called the "Shoe Dome"). I was paired up with Randy Roberts' across the street neighbor, who came over to see what was up and stayed for a few hours. We dominated play and finished undefeated for the day. After the excitement of the spirited horseshoe tournament had died down we all settled down and enjoyed some gourmet Memorial Day pic-nic food - hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, brownies and an assortment of other nutritious junk food. I took a holiday from my diet.

Vicki and the other lady-folk opted out of the horseshoe festivities in favor of sitting inside in the air conditioning and debating the ethics of which gender has the ultimate responsibility for the correct positioning of the toilet seat. Check with Vicki for the details of this fascinating discussion!

Today was another big day in the Freede Hood. We bought patio furniture!! After running around town to four or five places we ended up back at our original location and bought the patio stuff of our dreams. Vicki had been saving her spare change and one dollar bills for the last three years or so and had finally come up (almost) with enough to furnish our patio. There was some assembly required, but it looks great. Maybe we'll have Memorial Day here next year!

Tomorrow is looking huge. I'm planning to sand and paint our existing back yard bench to match the new patio furniture. Should be an awesome day.

Next week I think I'll start looking for a new job. Maybe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I smiled all the way through this post! Call me & I will tell you how to add links and stuff to your blog! :)