Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday Highlights

Today was Thursday, but it was difficult to tell. When you're semi-retired all days that end in "y" are equal. There were a few highlights though.


I had lunch today with one of my former colleagues. It's been over a month since I was released from Transocean and we had a little catching up to do. It seems that all of my old work friends are doing fine. Funny how life in a big corporation goes on without you. One day you're there, putting in 60 hours a week working on so many important things that just have to get done, and then you're gone, and things don't grind to a halt without you. I guess it's a little like dying. When you're gone, you're gone, and somebody else just somehow picks up where you left off.



Vicki and I have discovered a great place to walk. There's a 2.5 mile track around the new Brazos River Park. We waited until around 7:00 when it had cooled off a little and then headed over. I think that walking on the crushed gravel track is easier on the legs than walking on concrete. But keeping up with someone whose legs are a foot longer than mine presents another challenge. I'll do my best. Maybe I'll grow.


I registered with the Texas Workforce Commission yesterday (or was it the day before yesterday?). Notice I only said "registered." I haven't actually applied for any benefits yet because I haven't actually started looking for a job yet. Once I get into the job hunting mode I'll be looking forward to that $392 a week.


Speaking of looking forward to something, I was presented the opportunity to be a group leader at Kadesh at ACU the week after next. My nephew-in-law, Jay Blackburn, who is the recently appointed youth minister at the Grace Crossing Church in The Woodland asked if I'd be interested in being a part of his group. I've heard so much about Kadesh over the years - Kayla and Bethany both attended several times - that I thought it would be great to be a part of it. I sent in my registration information this morning. All I know so far is that I'll be driving a van full of high school kids home from Abilene (someone else is apparently driving them to Abilene). I'm clueless as to the official duties of a group leader, but I'm confident that I can handle whatever they may be. I'll get to stay in one of the dorms and eat in the "World Famous Bean". I always wanted to go to ACU. This will be a dream come true. I've already put this on my resume.


I've been teaching a men's Bible class on Wednesday evenings at First Colony. The focus of the class is how we as men can let God use us for His purposes. One of the verses we focused on this week was from James 1:22 - which paraphrased says "Don't just read the Word of God, do it!" If we could all do both of those things - read it and do it - things would be just about perfect. I'm going to work on that.

No comments: