Saturday, March 21, 2020

Back in the Saddle Again

I'm Back! (?)

I'm having some difficulty getting back into my blog, but I'm hoping this will work.  This is just a test posting, so don't expect the usual fascinating content that you were used to when I suspended operations five years ago.

I thought I'd resurrect my blog because I seem to have quite a bit of time on my hands just now.  I retired three years ago, so it's not like I was exactly living with an overloaded schedule, but now that the virus panic is in full swing I have more down time than I know what to do with.  Yesterday I actually washed my truck - not by driving it through the car wash at the gas station - but the old fashioned way, out in the driveway using a hose and a bucket!  It was also raining at the time, which proves how hungry I was to do something - anything!

Keeping with the "let's do something - anything!" theme, Vicki and I spent this past Wednesday cleaning out our attic.  Now although this may not sound exciting, it actual was - in a weird sort of way.  When we moved into this house fourteen years ago we put lots of stuff in the attic, a good portion of which had previously resided in the attic of the house from which we had moved, and a fair portion of that in the attic of the house from which we had moved before that.  So, much of what was in the attic was actually living in its third attic.  We had two primary motivations for the big clean out.  First, if we ever move again we don't want to tote anymore worthless stuff along with us than necessary.  Second, we thought we'd do our kids a big favor and spare them the task of culling the junk when we die (we don't anticipate that our deaths are eminent, but there is a virus thing going around you know).  I'll spare you all the exciting details, but the glee of having a now almost empty attic is strangely satisfying.  I actually went up there yesterday, just to sit in the space now shared with only camping equipment and a few Christmas decorations.

My next project is to teach my grand kids what in the past were referred to as "math facts".  As with all things virus, they also have extra time on their hands now that school has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.  For those of you who are not familiar with the term "math facts", it means rote memorization of arithmetic (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication).  This is very much out of fashion in today's education world, where kids are expected to know the theory behind 2+2=4 instead of just knowing that 2+2=4.  Instead of just memorizing the addition, subtraction, division and multiplication "tables" as we used to call them, kids now are required to draw pictures to define what each arithmetic transaction represents, thereby deriving a greater, more spiritual relationship with each transaction.  My goal is to blow this whole thing up and turn math into not too much more than a party game where my grand kids will be able to amaze their friends by just magically knowing how to add or subtract stuff.  The key to my overthrow of the contemporary education system will involve neither technology or theory.  My weapon of choice will be FLASH CARDS!!  I can't wait to subvert the little minds I will be influencing.  I said there would be no technology, but in the spirit of full disclosure I must reveal that I did order the flash cards online.

Well, that's all for now.  I'm about to put on my jogging (actually walking) shoes and head out for a little exercise.  During my walk I will be sure to maintain the appropriate "social distancing" from any other bored people who are killing time getting in a little exercising.

So you will have something to look forward to, the following a list of potential future topics I may or may not tackle on my blog:
  • The Astros Cheating Scandal - Watch out Red Sox, you're next 
  • COVID-19 - Fact or Fiction - Who's crazy and who isn't?
  • Cute Stories About Our Six Grandchildren!
  • More Cute Stories About Our Six Grandchildren! (This time with cute PICTURES!!!!)
  • Movie Reviews (If I ever go to another movie)
  • Online Church - Worshipping in your pajamas with your feet up while eating Cheerios
  • Social Distancing - Pros and Cons
  • Why Would Anyone Want a Pet Dog?
  • Flash Card Progress Report
  • Top Ten Tasks That Can No Longer Be Avoided While Self Quarantined
  • Why Are Viruses So Mean and Inconsiderate?
  • Humorous Musings About the Universe and the Meaning of Life
  • Serious Musings About the Universe and the Meaning of Life
  • Would Life As We Know It End Without Amazon Prime?
  • Conspiracy Theories and Really Stupid People Who Love Them
  • Did I Mention I Was Writing a Book?

1 comment:

Vicki and Doug said...

So glad you are “back in the saddle again”! I can’t wait to see what topic you choose for,your next blog!,🥰