I've been thinking about my blog and I'm starting to get concerned. After nine or so months of posting on a fairly regular basis I fear that I have run out of stimulating topics upon which to discourse. When my life was a carefree succession of endless days unencumbered by employment I had time to think of stuff and blog about it. Even if what I wrote entertained nobody but myself I still looked forward to launching my thoughts and opinions into cyberspace on a consistent basis. But what do I have to blog about now? Work? My commute? IRS regulations regarding the administration of COBRA and HIPAA? All fascinating topics to be sure, but will this be be enough? Will my blog die a slow death? Only time will tell.
With that said . . . I'm starting to get back into the swing of things as a working man. My circadian rhythms have now been synced up with my new sleep patterns and I no longer have to rely on my alarm clock to awaken me in the morning. I still set it for 5:00 am (just in case), but there is really no need, as I now wake up precisely at 4:41 every morning. I think I have just about convinced myself that an 80 minute, 75 mile commute isn't really so bad. I actually felt pretty good about it today for a couple reasons. First of all, I didn't make the trek to Wadsworth today because I had two meetings in Houston. As I was heading inbound of the Southwest Freeway in the rain I noticed something that I hadn't seen for the last two weeks - cars - lots of cars, most going only about 15 mph in the driving rain. There are no cars going 15 mph on my commute to work. Second, I ran into a friend who works downtown and he commented that it takes him about an hour and fifteen minutes to get home from work most days. And that's a grinding bumper-to-bumper, dodge-car kind of a drive. I have yet to encounter any bumper-to-bumper traffic as I travel through the downtown thoroughfares of Needville, Pleak, Boling, Magnet (yes, there's actually a crossroads called Magnet) or Wadsworth. And, I have discovered "books on tape" - which are actually, of course, books on CD. I've listened to two of them so far and they are like magic for making my drive time fly by. I found out today that it's possible to go online with the Fort Bend Public Library and reserve some pretty good titles. I predict that I will become a very well read - or should I say "well listened" - person over the next few years. Think how impressive and interesting I'll be at dinner parties!
Today was my first pay day and it turned out much better than expected. It seems that due to some type of payroll glitch I received not one but two pay checks! Vicki texted me in my meeting when she saw the direct deposits hit our checking account, but alas the error was discovered immediately, before she had time to withdraw the extra funds. Within a few minutes I had a voice mail and an email asking that I call payroll to arrange for a repayment of their mistake. I will dutifully - if regretfully - comply with their request.
Finally, I have a movie review for you. Last Friday - I'm off every Friday you know - Vicki and I saw the movie Dear John. I didn't really know either of the lead actors, but I know that the female lead was the same girl who was the daughter in Mama Mia. Yes, I'll admit I say Mama Mia, but I thought it was stupid. I won't say much other than Dear John far exceeded my expectations and for the most part wasn't bad. I wouldn't drop everything to run out and see it, but if you're having a slow day it might be something worth considering.
Tomorrow, being Friday, is my day off. I have some big plans. First, I plan to fix the leak in the kitchen sink. After that my schedule is mostly open.
For those of you (guys) who have been too busy to notice, don't forget that this Sunday is Valentine's Day. Although some cynics may try to convince you that this special day is nothing more than an overblown conspiracy by Hallmark and other retail terrorists to separate you from some of your hard-earned cash, please observe it for what it truly is - a day to show your special someone how much you care. Don't feel that you need to go overboard. Any small token of your affection will do. Really . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment